22 December 2008

The 12 Days of Teamus: Day 12

For the last day of this series, I thought a lot about the ultimate tea gift. A year's supply of Uji Gyokuro; a cordless, laser-guided, instant-read thermometer to get that exact water temperature; a handcrafted Japanese birch-veneer tea canister?

Nothing seemed just right.

I realized, then, what my favorite gift is: the first cup of tea I have in the morning. I'm lucky enough to be able to make and enjoy one every day.

So set your alarm five minutes earlier on Christmas morning and make yourself a cup of your favorite tea. Drink it quietly before you do anything else, and just revel in the smell of the leaf brewing and the gentle tickle of the steam on your lips before you close your eyes and sip.

Do it every day, and it will be an endless gift.

3 comments:

cha sen said...

How true that is! I can't think of a better way to usher in the day.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

So true! Nicely said!

Camille said...

One of the best things is a little alone, quiet time in the morning with a cup of tea before the busy day gets going.