25 November 2008

Pumpkin Pie Revise

I've never made pumpkin pie before. I know, I know. Wipe that look of shock off your face. It's just one of those things I've never gotten around to, like going to grad school or learning Portuguese and how to walk in a pair of Louboutins.


When I saw this recipe in the November issue of Martha Stewart Living, I knew it was time to update the life list. It's a pumpkin pie, but updated with a semisweet chocolate infusion and sheathed with a dark layer of bittersweet on top of the lightly spiced graham-cracker crust.

A brief note on the recipe: make sure to use a deep-dish pie pan, because you will have leftover filling- almost 3 cups worth. (Hey Martha, recipe test much?) I was initially annoyed, but when the spirit Yankee frugality led me to pour the extra into a few ramekins and bake them for about 30 minutes alongside the pie, I was deliriously happy with the results. A slice of pumpkin pie straight from the refrigerator is lovely, but a cupful of warm, puddinglike pumpkin pie filling right from the oven is divine.

Regardless how you eat it, the tea to drink with this soft, rich and soothing pie is something to match the chocolate flavor: Keemun, which brews up an aromatic cup with light cocoa overtones. This Chinese black tea undergoes an unusually long withering time as it's processed, which leads to a pleasant natural sweetness on the tongue. It's palatable even for a green-tea lovers (ahem).


I may even be drinking this one alone, after the pie is gone. Luckily, since I'm not hosting Thanksgiving this year, I don't have to save it for anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, tea with pumpkin pie is marvelous!
Great job on your first pumpkin pie!

Anonymous said...

That pie totally rocked. Thank you for making it, as other subsequent pies did not work out nearly as well.

Camille said...

Oh, that pie does sound heavenly. I agree about eating it warm, from the oven. I have a custard-like pie recipe from my mother and I like it warm like a pudding, too.