22 August 2008

Iced Chocolate Chai

Or, how to find ice-cold redemption in a cup, no matter what time of day.


I made this tea-based granita to crown a late summer, gluten-free dinner for a incredible jewelry designer last night, but discovered this morning that it makes for a killer breakfast.

Look, if a chocolate croissant can count as a morning meal, then this has to- and it's even got tea in it. It's icy and creamy, sweet and spicy; what else do you need to wake you up on an August morning?

The original recipe, from the delightful Cooking With Tea, had the tea steeped with everything else for about 15 mintes. I wanted to avoid any bitterness from overbrewing, however, so I just added it after all the spices, chocolate and milk had simmered together.


Iced Chocolate Chai

In a large saucepan, mix together 4 cups milk; 1/3 cup granulated sugar; 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped; 6 cardamom pods, crushed; 2 whole cinnamon sticks; 4 allspice berries, crushed; and 1 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons Cameroon or Darjeeling tea; let sit 10 minutes.

Strain into a shallow baking dish, cover and freeze for at least 4 hours. Break up chunks with a fork, and serve ice-cold.

It's hard to have a bad day when the first thing you put in your mouth is chocolate. Just try it and see.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks and sounds delicious! You guys are having way to much fun in your neck of the woods- talented people you are!

avra romanowitz said...

the swirling chocolatey/chai-y goodness is hypnotizing. awesome action shot. i want.

Anonymous said...

I want too. Jeez. I'm in the land of tea and they have nothing this good. Just a lot of bad teaf. I mean teeth.

Strumpet said...

Thanks to these photos, I have to run to the grocery store... (The second time your blog did this to me.)

s said...

mmm... this looks quite delightful.

Kirsty Girl said...

My hubby will go batty over this. I think I'll do it in my ice cream maker.