05 September 2008

More Than Mikey Will Like It

Golden, crisp, sweet, addictive: this may be the Platonic ideal of breakfast cereals. Did I mention that it has chocolate in it?


I originally found this recipe on the cooking blog Orangette, which has it along with a lengthy treatise on the best baguette in Paris and whether chocolate is suitable for breakfast. You can debate that as long as you want- I'll just be here, quietly crunching my way through another bowl.

It's one of the simplest granolas I've ever made, and I admit, I was initially skeptical about how deep the flavor would be. But don't be cynical like me. It's absolutely delicious.

Chocolate Granola
Makes: 5 cups.

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
6 Tbsp. mild honey
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate

1. Heat oven to 300°F. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, coconut, sugar, and salt.

2. In a small saucepan, heat the honey and oil over low heat, stirring, until the honey is loose. Pour over the dry ingredients, and stir to combine well.

3. Spread the mixture evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden, stirring halfway through. Remove the pan from the oven, stir well and cool completely.

4. When cool, transfer the granola to a jar, add the chocolate and stir to mix. Serve with milk or yogurt.

This granola is on the sweet side (I did make it, after all), so you'll definitely want that creaminess from the milk or yogurt to cut through it. And it's positively designed for an accompanying cup of Earl Grey- mine was overnight cold-brewed- as the clean, strong, tannic flavor of the black tea resets your palate between spoonfuls.

Earl Grey tea may seem too obvious a choice- it's probably the most popular flavored tea in the world, or at least the most well-known- but it pairs so well with cream, not to mention chocolate. I shied away from it when I started drinking tea in earnest about a decade ago, but I've been drifting back to it lately for both drinking and baking. Unlike other flavored teas, I find its bergamot scent intriguing, not distracting.

In fact, his highness may be the star ingredient in one of the best desserts I've ever tasted. More on that tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Earl meets Count Chocula

montague said...

chocolate granola reminds me of being a kid. yumminess!

Bonbon Oiseau said...

i am so going to make this---it really is delicous...but wait what's the best chocolate if we've plowed through the spanish stuff?

Camille said...

Chocolate granola. My kids will devour this (me too!).