26 June 2008

The Upper Crust

Because I can never leave well enough alone, here's one last reason to make that cherry pie right now: the resulting pie-crust cookie.

I always make sure to have enough dough left over after putting the pie together to make one delicious, sugary, buttery bite of goodness.


All you have to do is pat the leftover dough into a rough circle shape, lay it on a piece of parchment paper or foil, and sprinkle it with sugar (I used vanilla-infused). When you're ready to put the baking sheet under the pie, just slide the packet onto it first. The 30 minutes at 350 degrees are just enough to cook the dough to a golden crisp.

Plus, you can eat this right out of the oven, so there's no need to suffer through the hours-long wait for the pie itself. It also goes particularly well with any cherry filling that may have dripped on the kitchen counter (although you may, like me, feel a bit antlike as you hunt every last drop down and devour it off your finger).

Or, if you're feeling a bit more civilized, try it with some tea. I had it with some iced white tea, Silver Tips, whose snowy, light taste complemented with the delicate cookie. Any tea would do, though- I think these could be a surprise best-seller in my imaginary tea shop.

No comments: